Monday, June 14, 2010

Pulling It Together

I like the word "integrity."

We use it to denote the quality of honesty in a person--someone who holds to his values especially during trials and tribulations. The word also means the quality of being put together in harmony where the object or person is whole and complete.

I like to put the two definitions together to explain that we can be whole persons who keep ourselves together when we hold o virtues when times are difficult.

Our fears tear at us. The world attacks us. Our selfishness can betray us. It can be easy to compromise our morals when we're under those pressures. But temptations--or trials, take your pick--can be defining moments in our character, where we become the persons we were meant to be.

Sometimes we can feel like we're losing ourselves. Perhaps we're afraid we're gong to lose the things we have. And sometimes we're just plain confused.

We can pull ourselves together and straighten out our thinking when we remember to stay committed to our values.

The thing that held Job together during his trials was his righteousness. He was completely frustrated and alone, thinking that even God had abandoned him. But he held on through his ordeal because he held onto his values. We can too.

"As long as I have life within me..., my lips will not speak wickedness, and my tongue will utter no deceit.... till I die, I will not deny my integrity. I will maintain my righteousness and never let go of it; my conscience will not reproach me as long as I live." (Job 27:3-6).

No comments:

Post a Comment