Monday, September 6, 2010

The Possible Dream

To dream ... the impossible dream ...
To fight ... the unbeatable foe ...
To bear ... with unbearable sorrow ...
To run ... where the brave dare not go ...
To right ... the unrightable wrong ...
To love ... pure and chaste from afar ...
To try ... when your arms are too weary ...
To reach ... the unreachable star ...
                           --lyrics by Joe Darion

I have loved this song all my life. I saw a scene from “Man of La Mancha” on the TV the other day and I started singing with the music. I will always love it, but I no longer quite believe in the words. I started writing some of my own thoughts which will never be set to music, but they are mine and I share them with you:

I don’t believe in the impossible dream.
I believe in doing things that people say are impossible;
In trying things that appear impossible.

I believe in dreaming audacious, ambitious,
     outrageous dreams
But I do not wish to glorify magnificent failure.
I aim for unbelievable triumph.


I still believe in being daring, taking risks, and being bold.
I still believe in nobility, idealism, generosity,
     courage, and higher purpose.
I believe in dying for love ones and noble causes.
I believe in trying again
When you don’t think you have anything left.


I believe there’s a time for going for broke,
for risking it all,
for laying it all on the line.
And I believe one can come back from utter loss and devastation.


Scientists and philosophers have regularly
been proven wrong  about the limitations
They place on the universe.

I believe in possibilities.
I believe there are more things in heaven and earth
Than are dreamt of in human philosophy.


I reach for things beyond my grasp
Because I don’t believe they're unreachable.


I dream the possible dream.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
                                                     --Mark 11:22-24

No comments:

Post a Comment