Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's Not What I Know, but Who

On occasion, I'm challenged by people of other faiths or persuasions. One of the accusations leveled at Christians is that no matter how we say it, we believe that we are better and everyone else is wrong and unacceptable. They say we are closed minded and won't entertain any other viewpoints, even if we listen respectfully for a few minutes.

It's hard to argue with this. Christianity does make a bold claim: "There is salvation in no one else." (Acts 4:12). To a point, they're right. While I value being nice and reasonable, I do not agree that Mohammed is on the same level as Jesus. I don't believe that all faiths lead back to the same God. I can respect anyone enough to let them have their beliefs, but I do not have to agree with them to respect them.

Frankly, I don't like fighting from this corner. They can label me an elitist judgmental closed minded individual who insists that no one else is as good as me. But couldn't we come at this another way?

I'm not right. I'm not better. I just know about someone wonderful who makes me feel special and empowers me. I know someone who knows me and wants to be close to me. He offers me a future and a hope.

Does that make me better? No, it makes me grateful.

And this person gave me an assignment. I can't keep this gift to myself. I'm supposed to share it. When I do that, I mean no insult or disrespect. I have only good will which should be my only motivation.

 
 

1 comment: