Friday, October 9, 2009

Words Rightly Spoken

It never fails. If I say something with great emphasis, I have to come back and temper it because it was too extreme.

Previously, I wrote about how talking too much can be selfish, which is true enough. But a good friend made me think about it over some more. Like me, he likes to talk a lot, and he took my article to heart. He wasn't angry or defensive like some would be, but conscience stricken. He said he was going to work hard to not talk so much.

The thing is, I don't want him to be silent, even a little bit. He is enthusiastic, kind, and encouraging. He's smart and thoughtful. His words are always a blessing.

Some people don't talk enough. They don't say anything mean, but neither do they say the things that are needed. There are moments when someone desperately needs to hear that he is loved. We all need to be encouraged. We all need words of wisdom.

We're supposed to give people what they need. If we hold back important words because we're insecure, unaware, or just plain stingy, then that's a sin of omission.

"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." (Prov. 25:11).

No comments:

Post a Comment