Monday, February 4, 2013

A Spoonful of God



I used to see a bumper sticker that said, “God said it. I believe it. That settles it.”

I would quote that bumper sticker and people would nod with satisfaction as if I had just handed them the secret of the universe in a small box, and now they could go on to put dinner on the table. 

And then I would challenge them: “This is an interesting statement. But what exactly do we think God has said?” And I would use any answer they offered to initiate a protracted discussion, which bugged them, because they were ready to move on

I probably took too much pleasure in bothering them, but I think my point is valid:

You can’t limit God to a bumper sticker. To use another quote of a similar style:

Anything you can put in a nutshell belongs there. 

On the other hand, Jesus and John had a way of saying very big things in short sentences:

God is love.
God is light.
I am the Bread of life
I am the Light of the world.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.
I am the Good Shepherd.
I came that they may have life and have it more abundantly.
I am the Resurrection.
I am.

Quick sayings.  But they were meant to generate conversation, not stop it cold.  I have spent a life time pondering these statements. People will ask me for definition and look disappointed when I can’t give them a quick answer to explain an absolute truth.

Time is a major factor. We don’t have enough of it, and it seems to me that the most important things often cheated by busyness and fatigue created by the busyness.  For instance, I spend a lot of energy honing a worship service to keep it to a mere sixty minutes. And most people don’t have time for protracted group study of the Bible.

But I think most of us hunger for truth, meaning, and purpose.  Maybe we’re even starved, which could explain why we want it all in one spoonful.

A spoonful of God. That just isn’t going to be enough, is it?  

2 comments:

  1. Where I live, it seems that people are very reluctant to discuss spiritual matters. In face, once the service is over I never hear Jesus discussed as a living presence in our church.
    There is often talk of news, endless weather, financial matters, and even politics - but discussion about our relationship with God is so rare as to be unheard of....
    It seems at some point it became impolite to discuss such things - and I suppose I can see how it is awkward among people who might have different faiths (although personally I really enjoy such opportunities) but in our own church it would seem that we should all feel quite free to talk openly.
    I don't do it either.....wouldn't it be nice to share our love for God freely?

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, yes, it would be nice. It's like there's some cultural barrier that keeps us from sharing these things. And yet, I think most of us think about them quite a bit. I wonder what makes us feel so uncomfortable?

      Delete